Author Topic: Reject.  (Read 3893 times)

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
Reject.
« on: August 28, 2018, 10:14:54 PM »
Despite being given 3 days to live, he fought the odds, and after 5 months of living his life to the full, poor Reject finally passed to the Rainbow Bridge on the 26th of August 2018.

In the last 5 months, he has had an even larger impact on our lives than he did when he turned up here as a 3 day old kit, ranging from giving him his medication, to the regular feeding him soup, as he could no longer eat solids, to making sure he was kept clean, since he could not lift himself up to go to the loo, although he never failed to make it to the puppy pads we put down for him. Chewit was an absolute star, and took it as his roll to look after Reject, licking his chin clean after soup, and going out of his way to find Reject, where ever he was, and cuddled up to him.

As you all know, we had a few times, where we thought he may be ready to pass on, but every time, he managed to rally round, and wondered what the fuss was about, giving us some more time. The week before we set off for our regular visit to the Great Dorset Steam Fair, he was going through a bad patch, and we knew things were coming to an end, but we did not want to put a time limit on his life, which trying to squeeze it in before we went would be doing, so we decided that we would take him with us, and then depending on how things were, sort out the vet visit when we got back. He had several good days, then on the Saturday, was a bit weird, and was not very interested in his food.  By Saturday evening, he was cold, and we spent the evening cuddling him and made him a hot water bottle, then he asked to go to bed, so I put him in with Chewit, and he looked happy. The Sunday was a terrible day, it was raining very hard, and quite cold, so after waking up at 7am, and checking on him, we decided to have a lay-in. By the time we were ready to get him out of the cage at 11am, he had passed away.

Over the last 5 months, we took him every where with us, and he got to explore so many places, I am sure the other ferrets thought he was senile and making up stories, when he told them of his adventures. Most times when he was in the car, he would sit on Suz's lap, or in her arms, so he could look out the window. We put a puppy pad in the foot well, and he would ask to be put down on it, if he needed the loo. There were many people amused at the ferret looking at them when we were stuck in traffic. Often, he would sit there staring at me driving, and could not understand why I was just sitting there, and not continually fussing him.

Whenever we were sitting on the sofa at home or in the caravan, he would sit next to us, with his head and shoulders on one of our thighs, and we would sit there absent mindedly massaging his back and neck for as long as possible, till one of us needed the loo, or a cup of tea, where we would shift him, onto the leg of the other person. It is feeling very weird not doing his meds, making his food, and having a cuddle, especially now we are back home in familiar surroundings again.

Reject came to us as one of Megan's 6 "little pink sausage" kits, which we collected for Harrietsham ferret rescue, at 3 days old. They were all supposed to go to the rescue, but as we had never had kits before, we persuaded the rescue to allow us to bring them up. Then when old enough, they were supposed to all be re-homed, so we were told not to name them, otherwise it makes the re-homing much harder. When they were old enough to be re-homed (an almost impossible thing to do even without names), we started finding homes for them. We had decided to keep one hob (Picnic) and one Jill (Flyte). Picnic unfortunately died very young with heart failure, but every time people came round to pick from the other kits, the same one was always rejected, and left behind. Somehow, we started referring to him as the rejected one, then he started coming when we said reject, and by then, he had a personality, and a name, so we had to keep him, and his name stuck as Reject.

He was always a character for his whole life, and loved walking at any opportunity, and when he walked with his dad, they would play or bounce on each other, or pull on each others leads, going mad, and always giving us a nice fun filled walk.

He was such a perfect PR ferret, who you could give to anyone, provided no-one ever put him near their face... He never gave kisses, apart from one time, when Suz's really annoyed him, by not taking him for a walk, so he gave me a kiss on the chin, as a point of principle, for the rest of his life though, if you put him up to your face, he would bite your lip or nose.

He loved his raw meat, and soup, and he developed a habit, that no matter where he was asleep in the house, if we had a Pizza delivery, we often order some BBQ chicken, and as soon as we started eating them, he would arrive, and demand that I gave him the gristle off the end of the chicken bone. He knew there were 4 bits of chicken, and would always come back for all 4 bits.

Reject relaxing with Caramel in the caravan

:angel1: :adore: Sweet Dreams Reject :adore: :angel1:

:angel1: :adore: We had you from 3 days old, and you stayed with us for only 6 short years & 1 month, but between you, your mum, dad, and siblings, you taught us so much, and gave us such a huge amount of Joy. :adore: :angel1:

:angel1: :adore: heaven has gained a special star.... :adore: :angel1:

Thank you so much for going peacefully, and not putting us through having to take you to the vets one last time. You were a true gentleman, but we already knew that.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:18:31 PM by lazy-ferret »
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

Offline girly-lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • You can't ferret proof your heart.
    • First name: Suzanne
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• About Us
Re: Reject.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
Even though it was a short ferret life, Reject taught us so much, and was truely integrated in these last months.

Everything we do seems to be a reminder of or for him. Like making our breakfast and using the time while the porridge heats to prepare his soup and meds. He even sat in our arms as he had to see what was going on when we went about normal life so popping to home bargains, possibly their first ferret visitor.

It feels empty and I miss him so much but that's the way it should be for a life well lived. :cry: :angel1: :cry:

He'll be keeping an eye on us with his mum Megs, dad Toblerone, and brother Picnic no doubt. Until you and the crew come to meet me again little lad.

Offline star

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
    • First name: Lesley

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 08:49:20 PM »
 :cry: :cry: Sweet dreams beautiful boy.xxx

Offline ken-godwin

• Fluffy Member
  • Weaned Kit
    • First name: Ken

• Ken Godwin PhotoArt
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 08:47:45 AM »
So sad when we have to say good bye but Reject had a good life and went when he was ready to go.
You can't ask any more than that.