Author Topic: Harrietsham Ferret Show  (Read 15417 times)

Offline ken-godwin

• Fluffy Member
  • Weaned Kit
    • First name: Ken

• Ken Godwin PhotoArt
Harrietsham Ferret Show
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »
Hi All, I met up with Roy & Chris from the Harrietsham Ferret Rescue at the weekend and was told that this year the Ferret Show will be held on 24th November this year.

I suppose full details will be anounced on Face Book soon.

Ken

Offline girly-lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • You can't ferret proof your heart.
    • First name: Suzanne
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• About Us
Re: Harrietsham Ferret Show
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »
Hi Ken, yes they've asked us to run the "fun section classes" 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline darkqueenenlightened

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Is NOT allowed another ferret...is NOT allowed...
    • First name: Mel

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »
Looking forward to this :) who's going? x
Xx Owned by the lovely Cadbury, Nyx, Mako, Boston, Gadget and Pedro.  Keep on dancing Snuggles, Fuz, Chaz, Oliver, Tali, Fidget, Pixie, Drill, Lizzie, Tank, Jack, Dust, Romeo, Zeph, Apollo, Hjuki, Alaska, Sparks and Roo xX

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:33:17 PM »
No one?
Xx Owned by the lovely Cadbury, Nyx, Mako, Boston, Gadget and Pedro.  Keep on dancing Snuggles, Fuz, Chaz, Oliver, Tali, Fidget, Pixie, Drill, Lizzie, Tank, Jack, Dust, Romeo, Zeph, Apollo, Hjuki, Alaska, Sparks and Roo xX

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 11:19:10 PM »
Well we will be there, but we are part of the furniture and fixings...

Don't forget to decorate your cage!! Christmas theme.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

Offline ken-godwin

• Fluffy Member
  • Weaned Kit

• Ken Godwin PhotoArt
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 08:05:24 AM »

I think that the question should be........who is not going?  I reckon that anyone who is anyone will be there!
It's one of those gatherings where there is so much interest and love for your animal that is the atmosphere is palpable! :fuzzyhug:

See you there!

Offline star

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
    • First name: Lesley

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 03:30:21 PM »
I would love to go but all these events seem to be miles away.

Offline Lee

• Ferrets always put a smile on your face 😀
  • Fluffy Member
  • Adult Ferret
    • First name: Lee

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 07:54:42 PM »
Same for me star, there never seems to be anything near me .  I would love to go to something like that, to meet like minded people with there fuzzys
Having ferrets in your life makes you want more ferrets 😉

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 07:28:35 PM »
I can't even remember how shows work, only been to one and that was 5-10 years ago now :p assuming I just bring em along and get lots of fuzzie cuddles?

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
I can't even remember how shows work, only been to one and that was 5-10 years ago now :p assuming I just bring em along and get lots of fuzzie cuddles?

It's fairly easy, you arrive at the hall, and set your "Christmas" decorated cage up, and put your ferrets in. You then enter the ferrets into the the correct classes, usually along the lines of "Polecat Hob", "Polecat Jill", "Albino Hob", "Albino Jill", etc, where you will be given a number for each ferret you enter in that class. (do make a note of the class and number, as it is easy to get confused.

Then you enter your ferrets and "Christmas" decorated cage in the fun classes as well.

When the judging starts, they will call one colour at a time, and call out the number for the ferrets they want in that class one at a time, where a "runner" will take your fuzzy, and present it to the judges. They will then return your ferret, and call the next... etc.

This takes place over the course of the day, and you can have a drink, and a bite to eat while you wait. There will be raffle tickets, for sale, and if you are feeling good, you can even bring a prize for the raffle, then spend the day hoping you don't win it back..  :laugh: :wink3:

Also during the day, we run the fun classes, usually with heats of ferrets breaking out of the sack, till we get to an overall winner.

Another thing you do during the day, is to get to go round and talk to the other ferret owners, and meet all the ferrets, while at the same time scoring on a sheet of paper we provide which ferrets you think deserve a special award, like fluffiest coat, or the one you would most like to take home. We then add up the scores and the ferret with the most votes in each class will get a prize. Of course while you are doing this, people will be checking out your ferrets as well...

Then at the end of the day, The main ferret classes winners will be announced, and rosettes given, before all the first place ferrets are presented to the judges for them to pick the "Best in Show"... (which will of course be mainly my ferrets being put forward).

Lastly, we announce the winners of the raffle and fun classes, before we all pack up and head off home.

I think that is all of it... mainly, it's just a day to have fun and meet fellow ferret weirdo's enthusiasts... :laugh: :wink3:

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

Offline ken-godwin

• Fluffy Member
  • Weaned Kit

• Ken Godwin PhotoArt
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 08:17:42 AM »
I reckon that covers most of the day, and, if you want to see some pictures from the last shaow, have a look at:-
http://www.harrietshamferretrescue.co.uk/

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
I'm really excited now :D doesn't take much for me but now I really am looking forward to it.  So what if you have a chocolate coloured ferret and a black ferret, do they just go under coloured?  Thinking of bringing the two new kits who will be able to go in whatever colour class they'd be counted as, plus kits and angoras (or can they only be entered in one?) and then probably Hjuki even though she has lymphoma but is still gorgeous and probs Zeph or whoever looks like they want attention that day lol.  Anyone who sees Cadbury will guaranteed fall in love with him :p

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »
The classes do change a bit, year to year to reflect what's current, I think the last show,  Roy did an Angora class, but did not split them down to colours, just Hobs and Jills. There is usually a "Not Quite" class, for ferrets that have a visible Defect, e.g. no tail, or 3 legs....

IIRC it will be along the lines of,
Albino
Pastel Polecat (pink nose_
Polecat (black nose)
Sandy
Silver
DEW
Coloured
Angora
But as I say, Roy sets up which he will do, and if there is not enough entries in a class, sometimes they mix the hobs and Jills in that class.

There will be plenty there, to help you choose which class to put them in.

As for Cadbury!!! well what can I say, we have 2 little monsters to give him a good run for his money, and if all else fails, Roy knows all the chocolate ferrets are ours, so you will have to keep a good eye on the handlers, as it will not take much of a bribe for him to be returned to "us"..  :laugh: :wink3:

Our web site

Offline girly-lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • You can't ferret proof your heart.
    • First name: Suzanne

• About Us
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
The house and floors are all glittery and we are crafting it must be show time  :laugh: Looking forward to it, I reckon it will be a really busy hall.

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »
Time to Brag!!!

Sherbet came third in Silver Jills
Toffee came second in Sandy Jills
Magic came second in Polecat Jills
Kit came second in Albino Hobs
Kit and Kat came third in Matched pairs

Had a great day, and it was nice to meet up and swap stories with other ferret folk.

Our web site