Author Topic: My little boy Theodor xx  (Read 3745 times)

Cathie

My little boy Theodor xx
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »
Sadly another one of mine has passed way before their time!
I rehomed Theodor in January 2014 not too long after my girl Lumen had passed. My other boy Dexter was quite depressed and once he started to behave more like himself, i decided to introduce a new friend.
At first i wasn't sure as he has had some history of being scared of other ferrets, however they hit it off straight away. Dexter still has some ferret issues to deal with but Theodor was the first he allowed into the same cage space and after a short time, i caught them sleeping together!

Theodor was more dopey than my others and was always a joy to play with. He would roll around and kick at everything, so crazy! I called him my Kangeroo (Kanga) as he hopped and jumped like one when happy and playing and had a very hard kick if he got over excited!

He loved walks outdoors and always rubbed his belly across grass, if it was wet or freshly cut, even better!

I rehomed a girl in October called Jenni from the RSPCA and herself and Theodor became friends. I could see him trying to exert his dominance on her, but he was never harsh and if anything she thought he was funny and run around to play more.

I always had a hunch that Theodor may have Insulinoma as he was kibble fed for two years and he was slower than Dexter. I went to my original vets and asked for a BG check, they ran a full Cat Blood check and came back a mess and inconclusive. I then went to my new vets (i did previously saw this vet with my girl Lumen, wish i went there to begin with!). He ran a few BG checks and we done an Ultrascran to confirm a tumor on his pancreas. We started him on Diazoxide and he seemed to respond well with it, his levels stayed steady. He was still less active than the others but did go crazy and behave like a "normal ferret" as soon as he was outside again!

Unfortunately he caught Pneumonia and passed around 6am 05 November 2014.
I was ill a few weeks before and wasn't sure whether i had flu or common cold (i know they can't catch this). Theodor did develop a cough which i booked a vet appointment for, however i couldn't get an immediate appointment and i guess at the time we didn't realize how serious this would be. 

On the evening of the 4th, Theodor was up and playing as normal and took his medication. But after a few hours he started to develop heavy breathing and became very lethargic. We were advise to try another tablet and some honey to see if he would respond. We wasn't sure if it was a "Episode".
At the vets they administered antibiotics and ran an Xray which showed clouding over the lungs.

I was given a few options. To put him to sleep there and then, take him home with me or to leave him at the vets with warmth and oxygen to see if he responds.
I didn't want him to suffer at home. I wanted to try and not put him to sleep unless things worsened, and it pained me that my actual vet appointment was a few hours later.
I went home and after an hour, i received a call to say his breathing has worsened and best thing would be to put him to sleep.

I hate myself for not spotting this sooner but have taken it as a very valuable lessons.
I hope the time Theodor did have with us was a very happy one. I hope he is with Lumen now and waiting for us to join them.
I would like to post some photos in his memory.

He did not deserve this. I hope he is well and happy now. DIP my special boy and i will see you soon xx

As soon as he arrived, he got very comfy in his hammock!

First time eating raw meat!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:43:09 PM by Cathie »

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
Re: My little boy Theodor xx
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »
He looks like he had a whale of a time in the relativity short part of his life he spent with you, and as I said in your other posts, you did the best you could with the information you had available at the time, and that is all any animal can ask. :fuzzyhug:

Sweet Dreams Theodor, have a blast at the bridge with Lumen :angel1: :adore:
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

monkeybob

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »
I'm sure he had a great time with you. The pics are great he looks very happy.
He was a lucky boy having you as his servant.
Rip Theodore x

Offline wilbur

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
    • First name: Mary

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:06:11 PM »
he was a lucky chap to have such love in his life for his last months DIP little boy