Author Topic: Ferret Corona Virus (ECE) Sept 2014  (Read 22214 times)

ferreter39

Re: Ferret Corona Virus (ECE) Sept 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 11:20:10 AM »
Only just come across this topic.

Back in March/April 2010 I lost 5 ferrets to this particular virus. My friend in Bradford lost 11 so there's nowt new about it.

The National Ferret Welfare Society actually undertook an investigation - or perhaps I should say the vet who was treating Jean's ferrets set the ball rolling and the NFWS picked up the tab. At the time the chap who had brought the sick ferret to a show insisted it was CDV which both Jean and I disputed as the symptoms weren't right.

It took several weeks before the results of various tests came back from Glasgow and it was identified as Coronavirus. So as I said previously it's nothing new, it's been around for years and it'll still be going in 3, 9 or 12 months time. Just wanted to put the record straight as the NFWS has been accused of not doing anything - as it'd cost the NFWS just under £1K for the investigation and we'd already got the virus had already been identified. It had also been pointed out that we should be helping ferret owners to pay for testing... so far the NFWS has not been approached by any member requesting financial help.

It's been in the USA since the 1990s and as far as I know all their shows are still going ahead but with stringent hygiene practices in place - probably pretty much the same as the NFWS have had in place for 3 years and which has stood us in good stead since 2011. We had the judges and stewards wiping hands between ferrets prior to this but have gone a bit further these days, no walking ferrets, having wipes etc available to the exhibitors should they wish to handle other folks ferrets... basically just common sense.

Offline star

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
    • First name: Lesley

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
I found today on Facebook a ferret rescue based in the Midlands that is only homing ferrets to households with this virus because they have it at the rescue centre!, should they really be taking in and rehoming ferrets in this case?

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 10:32:06 PM »
In a word.. yes.

There are unfortunately many people in the ferret world who like to blow things out of proportion. This is made worse when a university decides to use fear to make money.  Bring the two together and you get to the point that rescues will all have close as everyone will be scared of them.

ECE has been around for years and while some ferrets will unfortunately be killed by complications from getting it, most will have a couple of off days and then get back on with their lives with many owners never even noticing.

The chances are, if you have ever had a ferret from a rescue, or met anyone who has one from one,  then your guys have probably already had/have it anyway.
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

Offline star

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
    • First name: Lesley

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 10:07:30 AM »
Thanks Clive for clearing that up :)

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »
Sorry if it seemed a bit blunt, I am on holiday so typing on my tiny phone. Not easy with fingers the size of mine. :-)
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site