Author Topic: Aero  (Read 6260 times)

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
Aero
« on: July 19, 2014, 02:55:58 AM »
I thought that as time went on, and we lose more ferrets, I would manage to harden my heart to the pain and heart break of them dying…. but I have got that so wrong… I have never felt anything like the pain I am feeling right now, as I have just had to have “My boy” put to sleep. :angel1:

While I would like to believe in Karma and Fate, I have to admit that deep down, I prefer the idea that we all choose our own paths, and have free will” to make all decision for ourselves without any guiding hand from some outside force…. BUT…. Having said that, quite a few things in my life have managed to keep me wondering, and ironically many of those things relate to some of the most important thing that have happened in my life. :adore:

Nearly 5 years ago, I read about a lady who had got a new ferret kit, as company for her free roam Jill, and then discovered that the jill really hated him, and turned into an evil biting primadonna. I have no idea why, but for some strange reason, instead of just reading about it, or maybe offering a few words of potential wisdom and then moving on, I PM’ed her, and tryed to help her based on a recent similar experience we had just gone through. During the course of the PM’s I realised just how badly the whole thing was upsetting her, and somehow, I ended up offering to take on this 3 month old Kit, who I later found out, also happened to have been born on the 9th of May, a day after my own birthday.

After I broke the news to Suz, of what I had done, we went to collect him, and I have to admit, that even though she had warned us he was a big lad, nothing prepared us for this giant of a ferret she got out to meet us. We brought him home and put him in with some of ours, where he pretty much seamlessly merged and became a very special ferret.

When I say he seamlessly merged, that is not quite true, you see, they all accepted him, and played with him, which he loved, but for some reason, he had no idea he was actually a ferret, and was convinced he was a small human who just tolerated the other ferrets, to keep us happy.

He became Suz’s and My baby, we even managed to unwittingly get my own mother overjoyed when we introduced her to her “new Grandson”, and then realised how disappointed she was when we produced a ferret for her to see. The disappointment didn’t last long though when she met this huge Albino boy with and even bigger personality.

For some reason, Aero never went white when he was neutered, and always remained a great golden colour, which people loved. He became our most popular PR ferret, as everyone who met him loved him, he even has an “American Aero Fan club”. We took him everywhere, as he just wanted to be with us all the time, and would walk on a lead just like a mini golden retriever where ever we went.

Just after we got him, we went on holiday, and one night, while out walking him on an extending lead, in a lovely “Ferret safe” location, Suz and I stopped for a quick kiss. Aero carried on walking, and suddenly nearly snatched the lead out of my hand. As I looked up, he was less than a foot from a rabbit that had not seen him coming, and luckily for the rabbit, the noise of the lead snapping tight alerted it to run away at high speed. Aero was livid, he dooked, and danced around, running back and forward all over like a blood hound trying to re-pick up the scent. He even war danced at us, and told us off, refusing to talk to us for the rest of the day. Every night when we walked back round that same area, he would start dooking, and going mad, and that was how he earned his nickname of “Bunny”, which stayed with him his whole life.

Although Aero had ferret friends, he was never happier than when he was with us, regardless of if that was sitting on the sofa watching TV, his bum in Suz’s arms, his head in mine, enjoying a fuss at both ends, or out at some PR event, where he loved to meet people and show off what a great guy he was. He was always ready to give a cuddle, to people, and seemed to be extra good when he met any “Special need” people, where he would sit patently and allow them the joy of a fuzzy cuddle without wriggling or trying to get down.

He also loved the camping life, getting all excited when he saw us getting things ready days in advance for our holidays, and acting like a spoilt over excited kid when he saw the travel cages being prepared, always needing to be the first one into them, checking out each of the beds and hammocks, to find the best place to be for the journey. He would lay awake in the travel cages for as much of the journey as he could, and I am sure I would hear him asking “Are we there yet” at regular intervals. Once in the caravan cage, he would cat nap with an ear always open for the sound of the box containing the leads and harnesses being opened, and was there at the bars waiting the second he heard them, ready for his walk.

His other love in life was his nightly treat of soup and raw chicken, he knew he was given it at 11:00 each night, and if we were late, he would become ever increasingly more and more annoying. It would start with walking over the keyboard if you were on the computer, or taking a short cut across you at high speed from one end of the sofa to the other, or walking on the TV remote and changing the channel. If that failed, he would move to the coffee table, and stare at you trying out his telepathy technique. The next step was to start knocking stuff off of the table, which usually resulted in us saying “Ohhh Aero” in a resigned voice. The final step was to knock over first my empty coffee or tea cup, and then move onto Suz’s cup, which always has some dregs left in the bottom, and would flood the coffee table, causing us to have to get up to sort that out, and while up, go and do his treat to stop him bothering us any more.

He only lived to 5years, 2 months and 7 days old, but he fitted so much into those few years, I am struggling to limit how much to write about him . He had so many fans, as everyone who met him loved him, so I have only touched the tip of the iceberg on Aero’s life, but I am sure many of you, who have known Aero over the years will have your own memories of him as well.

Unfortunately, Aero had Lymphoma, but kept it secret from us, until it was so far gone it was too late. Sadly, with the help of the dreaded “hindsight”, there were a few signs, but we never put them all together and added them up. There is a sort of happy irony that the first place Aero came on holiday with us and was walked on a lead earning his nickname of “Bunny”, was also the place he died, as we are on holiday there at the moment. We have taken an extended vacation, so have been here for a couple of week, so in that time, Aero enjoyed a few more nice walks around his favourite places. He went downhill so fast, one night he was walking and playing with Chomp, and then the next night, all he wanted to do was be carried and cuddled as we walked around his favourite places. We knew this was bad, as Aero “Never” missed the chance of a walk, but that night, he still had his soup, and raw meat as normal, so we were not too worried, thinking that maybe, as he was getting a bit older, he could not keep up this sort of regular exercise. He went downhill so fast though, the following morning, he had lost the use of one side, like he had had a stroke. We managed to find a ferret friendly vet to take him to, but on the journey there, he was fitting, and once we got the vets, we were given the terrible news that he was effectively “brain dead”, and the only kind option was to put him to sleep.

As many of us know that is a hard decision, and we have had the misfortune to have to make that decision a few times in the past, but to do that to Aero was nearly impossible, he was after all, My Boy, and he had to live for ever. He had had everything, he had a great start in life, had never known a cruel moment in his life, and always been given the best food, and medication, so there was no reason for his life to be cut short… But begrudgingly, we signed the paperwork, and Aero was given the injection, and then slowly went to sleep in my arms, while holding Suz’s hand, and as he always did when he went to sleep in our arms, pulled it in close and cuddled it one last time, until he was gone forever.

I guess most of you may have seen the heavy rain over the last couple of days, that is the world crying, as we have lost a very special, irreplaceable ferret, with a heart that was as golden as his fur, and as big as he was as a kit.

:angel1: :adore: :kiss1: :cry: :kiss1: :adore: :angel1:
Sweet Dreams “Bunny”, “Aero”, “Bubbles”, “Our Boy”, and “Ohhhh Aero”, it’s sad to know that you were a true “one off”, and that there can never be another one like you, and I am not sure what we are going to do without you to remind us what time it is, so we are not too late to bed on a work night. Please wait at the bridge for me, I will miss you with all my heart.
:angel1: :adore: :kiss1: :cry: :kiss1: :adore: :angel1:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:08:49 AM by lazy-ferret »
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

Offline darkqueenenlightened

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Is NOT allowed another ferret...is NOT allowed...
    • First name: Mel

Re: Aero
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:49:53 PM »
There are no words that will help :( he was a gorgeous boy and I am one of the many lucky ones who got the privilege of getting a cuddle.
Xx Owned by the lovely Cadbury, Nyx, Mako, Boston, Gadget and Pedro.  Keep on dancing Snuggles, Fuz, Chaz, Oliver, Tali, Fidget, Pixie, Drill, Lizzie, Tank, Jack, Dust, Romeo, Zeph, Apollo, Hjuki, Alaska, Sparks and Roo xX

Nymain

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:51:21 PM »
Really sorry to hear that Clive, Aero was such a nice boy and always a favourite to see again when we did the shows. DIP big guy.

Ferretless

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
Aero was one of two ferrets which kindled an interest in ferrets. Knowing Suz and Clive it is hard not to take an interest in ferrets, but they were something I had decided I was not interested in, having mistakenly listened to the stereotypes. Aero proved every stereotype wrong; he was an amazing and incredible ferret, and on the very few times which I met him, he never failed to bring a smile to my face. Whilst my experiences with ferrets are small, Aero features a lot; always friendly, always bouncing and bubbly, but also always ready for a cuddle or a fuss. I shall not forget having him curl up (despite his size!) in the side pocket of a jacket and resting there for ten minutes, nose touching tail, before erupting with energy and bringing yet more laughs and giggles to our happy gathering one steam fair evening. Thank you Aero - You did the ultimate PR job and managed to convert the unconvertible, as well as bringing joy and happiness wherever you went. I can only offer my sincerest condolences to Suz and Clive, he was truly a one in a million ferret.

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
Thanks guys, feeling very blue at the moment, but I did smile remembering that night George. It also reminded me of the night he did such a great job of "putting up" with Puff. It just went to show how good he was with "ANY" type of person.

sent from my phone, sorry for any typo's.

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

hilaauk

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »
Oh Suz and Clive - I know how special Aero was to you. I'm so sorry for your loss. DIP Aero.

FerretMonster

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:48:01 PM »
Gutted for you two.

You always do such nice epitaphs, a nice way to remember, but so difficult when it's raw.  :cry:

Offline wilbur

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
    • First name: Mary

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:38:14 PM »
Sorry to hear about Aero. Dook on big boy

Jan

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 07:51:46 PM »

So very sorry guys, he really was a very special boy, you couldn't help but fall in love with him, he will be missed by many  :fuzzyhug:

DIP big, beautiful Aero, have fun at the bridge  :angel1:  :kiss1:

fiddle

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
So very very sorry guys, he really was one in a million.  :cry:
His antics will stay with so many.
dook on happy over the bridge Aero xx   :angel1:

Darnassian

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 07:59:15 PM »
What a truly touching account of an amazing part of your family. That was a beautiful eulogy, thank you for sharing it with us. DIP Aero.

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 11:01:37 PM »
Thanks guys. He was a very very special little man.

sent from my phone, sorry for any typo's.

Our web site

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 01:22:06 AM »
Hi it's Suz, I'm posting as Clive as the internet is so bad here. He has done Aero proud with his memories and it’s taken a while to respond as I realised I need to go through the amazing life not the reason why I am writing this which hurts too much to start from. :cry:
Aero is a very “human” chap, to the point of even when I would just check in on him I would often find him lounging in the cage but sitting like a human with his back up and legs out in front of him chilled.
As Clive mentioned he came on every outing, trip or holiday we have taken, I remember so many memories just a few are when he came to “Gamblesby” with us over a Christmas, where we were all unfortunate to come down with flu. We let them out and left various fleeces about in the little “cottage flat” for them to go to, and found our Aero in our bed, slap bang in the middle, star shape, his body under the duvet with his head on the pillow.
Aero walked everywhere, lakes, shores, seas, lagoons, mountains and of course the local walk around to pets at home to choose himself a treat.
When out and about he was unconditionally good, we have a bag which was a safe place, but he preferred to  be held to be able to see everything, he sensed good people, and would play up to them.
Aero saw and walked in all weathers and every season, and has tried/spilled most drinks and foods, I reckon his favourite was the pizza delivery of it may be chicken with a bbq covering.
One day at the Dorset Steam fair we walked onto a stall selling all sorts of pet mattresses, so he took up residence in-between a very comfy pile with his head out to watch people’s reactions, he has a wicked sense of humour.
He found all sorts to shout at but mainly they shouted back, weasels, a polecat, slugs and snails to name but a few I am sure.
It seems a shame to stop writing as there are just so many memories, he's changed our lives and will always be with us.

Our web site

monkeybob

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »
Little buggers make such a great impact on our lives it's impossible to explain it to anyone who hasn't experienced the happiness they bring and the heart  break when they leave us too soon.
DiP Aero :(