Author Topic: Peccadillo  (Read 6959 times)

peterc

Peccadillo
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:30:01 PM »
I've just got back from being away for Easter and rang Kev at what was once at various times London and Feltham Ferret Rescue to arrange to pick the girls up and he said he had only just had a call from his wife that Peccadillo had died this morning. She had seemed a bit sluggish earlier but she was eating and Kev had assumed that the sluggishness was because she had just woken up.

She was only three and a quarter years old.

I'm obviously in shock at the moment. But is it worth getting a post mortem? And how do people normally dispose of the bodies?

Also I originally got Peccadillo just under three years ago two days after Dawn had died because I didn't think that Cocoa would cope as a lone ferret. Peccadillo was always intimidated by Cocoa and there were squeals from her every now and then. I'm wondering whether I should now leave Cocoa on her own. She'll be five next month.

Peccadillo was quite shy but would like people's hands sometimes. She was also my lazy beasticle, who liked to be taken to places of interest where she could dig or explore holes but expected to be carried over that boring pavement. She liked the high quality shredded chicken cat food (and Cocoa didn't so I have stock) and did want to play a little bit of chase when out.

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
Re: Peccadillo
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
Sorry Peter, sudden deaths are always so hard to deal with. I can say that hand on heart having just lost our Snowy just over a week ago.

PM's are a case of asking your vet asap after they died, so it may be to late depending on when she died. Unfortunately ferrets mask their illnesses very well so often by the time you see any evidence it may be too late, but for someone who does not know that ferrets specific manorisms, it is impossible to spot.

As far as disposing of the body, again your vet will do that for a small fee, but we prefer to have ours buried in our back garden, where each grave has some Crocus bulbs planted on the top as a little reminder each spring.

Sweet Dreams Peccadillo.

sent from my phone, sorry for any typo's.

I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

Jan

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »

So sorry for your loss Peter, it's so hard when you lose them suddenly and unexpectedly  :fuzzyhug:

Our babies are buried in the garden, above is planted with pretty small flowering plants and dwarf daffodils.  There is a plaque which reads 'A hundred hearts would be too few to carry all my love for you' 

Some people chose cremation which your vet can arrange.

DIP sweet Peccadillo   :angel1:  :kiss1:

peterc

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »
Thanks Clive and Jan,

I dropped Peccadillo off at the vets on the way home from picking her and Cocoa up. They will cremate her. They didn't think it was worth doing a PM as they are normally inconclusive.

Snow

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 06:20:13 PM »
I am very sorry to hear about your little girl.

DIP Little one  :angel1:

Offline darkqueenenlightened

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Is NOT allowed another ferret...is NOT allowed...
    • First name: Mel

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 03:30:23 AM »
Aww so sad to hear another much loved fuzzie has passes. Sweet dreams Peccadillo xx
Xx Owned by the lovely Cadbury, Nyx, Mako, Boston, Gadget and Pedro.  Keep on dancing Snuggles, Fuz, Chaz, Oliver, Tali, Fidget, Pixie, Drill, Lizzie, Tank, Jack, Dust, Romeo, Zeph, Apollo, Hjuki, Alaska, Sparks and Roo xX

Offline wilbur

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
    • First name: Mary

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48:51 AM »
So sorry, I know fro experience how horrid sudden deaths are.

peterc

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:30:03 PM »
Thanks again to everyone for their comments. I've spoken to Emma at Furry Friends where Peccadillo came from. Apparently Peccadillo is the fourth she knows of from the litter to die. They were terribly inbred and heart problems seem to be common amongst them. How Pecca went fits. Apparently the farmer responsible no longer keeps ferrets.

I'll be taking Cocoa along next week to see if we can find anyone she will tolerate.

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »
Thanks again to everyone for their comments. I've spoken to Emma at Furry Friends where Peccadillo came from. Apparently Peccadillo is the fourth she knows of from the litter to die. They were terribly inbred and heart problems seem to be common amongst them. How Pecca went fits. Apparently the farmer responsible no longer keeps ferrets.

I'll be taking Cocoa along next week to see if we can find anyone she will tolerate.
Thats so sad, we have been saying for years that there are some dodgy breeders around the Kent/Surrey/Sussex boarders, as we have seen a lot of rescues with Heart issues, plus wonkey teeth, and bad jaw lines. Worst part is though, they seem to have the most wonderful temperaments.

At least you now you know it was not the place you boarded the ferrets that was to blame, which must make you feel a bit better... I think having someone else's ferret die while you are looking after it, is somehow even worse than loosing one of your own, as you not only feel bad for the ferret, but the owners as well.

Good luck at the rescue. Old ladies can be so-n-so's to get to mix again, but don't rule out a younger ferret, we have had a few jills that hated adult ferrets, but were fine with kits.
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

peterc

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »
I went off to Furry Friends Rescue in Coulsdon yesterday to see if Cocoa was willing to have a furry friend. Unfortunately she squealed at any ferret she was shown even if they had their backs turned. She did sniff at a couple but still squealed. So this is now a one-ferret household. There weren't any kits around but I'll only try her with some if I here of any more local to me.

Offline wilbur

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
    • First name: Mary

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
that is a shame but sometimes the oldies are too set in theor ways to accept a newbie.

hilaauk

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 03:52:12 AM »
So sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a young one esp without warning is horrible.