Author Topic: Wow, Wispa... what a life  (Read 4560 times)

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
Wow, Wispa... what a life
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
This is one of those extra hard memorials to write, our Wispa had to be put to sleep tonight...

Many years ago, we had a ferret that was pining away over loosing 2 friends in less than 6 months. We were not really ready to move on and get more ferrets, but this guy was so sad, that we had no choice but to try and do something for him. After chatting on her forum, we set off to see a lady called Rose Morris, who used to run Mercia Ferret Rescue, up in Coventry. The day turned against us, and it took us over 5 hours to get from Sevenoaks to Coventry, and we got there, literally as they were closing up for the day. Since we had driven so far, Rose invited us in, and then gave even more bad news, they had had a good day, and re-homed all the ferrets that were currently re-homeable.

As you can imagine, I was really fed up now, but then when she saw how down Muppet was, she said she did have 2 jills, but they refused to be re-homed, and had lived at the rescue for 2 or 3 years, as they were bitters... One was a real monster who not only bit anyone who tried to re-home her, but also bit the people who helped her clean the cages out.

We decided since the day was hopefully as low as it could get at that point, to at least try Muppet with them. Amazingly one of the girls took straight to him, literally following him everywhere. The other one though, climbed up me, and started to check me out, doing that thing, where they push their nose into you as hard as possible, and sniff. She turned and then tried to bite my hand, but I was ready for it, and stopped her. She was shocked by this, and I think I was the first person to get one up on her. Seeing how well Muppet and the other one were doing, we decided we could cope with them, and said we would take them... the look on Rose's face when she realised we were taking both, as initially she thought we just wanted the one who was being nice to Muppet, and did not want the really bad biter. Obviously, there was no way we would have broken up 2 sisters who had lived together for so long.

We got them home, named them Flake and Wispa, and like most ferrets that come here, they moved in, and threw most of their emotional baggage away. It did not take us long to realise they were very different in personality, and while Flake almost instantly changed into a kissy and cuddly girl, Wispa liked to keep us on our toes, the best bit was, they both loved Muppet, and they made him a very happy boy.

As time went on, first Muppet died, then her sister, but we managed to get her friends with some ferrets in another group.  Once she met, Bounty, and Twix, she was in heaven, and used to love sleeping in the hollow between their legs, when they were curled up. Her and Twix went on the become just like an old married couple, to the extend that we knew if they had had an argument, as one would move the other out. Wispa had a thing for Nylabones, and collected many of them, keeping them safe in her bed at the top of the cage, these would be moved out to the garden by Twix, when he was fed up with her, or moved to behind the Sofa, if it was her that decided to move out, and was always very funny to sit and watch.

This is a Video of her and Twix playing chase in the caravan, him being a bit dim, and her, as sharp as a pin.
Wispa and Twix playing

Once Twix passed on, I think she had seen too many friends come and go, and she became a loner, eventually not wanting to live with any other ferrets, and just having us for company, but she still had her Nylabones to move around, and loved to scamper round the garden.

There are so many stories I could tell, She loved to walk on her lead, had a thing for big hairy tattooed bikers, hated old men who put their hand near her with out asking and could never see a cozy-cup bed with out stashing it. The biggest things I will remember though, are the amazing kisses that she would bestow upon us, when she felt like it, and her love of water. She was obsessed by it.

Here is a compilation Video I made a few years ago and I really have to say, it is the most fitting tribute to her, as it really sums up her playful, full of energy life style.

Wispa the Techno Ferret

Cold and hard, but it is still water

Once tired of walking, time for a sleep

She is gone now, but I will never run out of happy memories of her.

Sweet Dreams Wispa, I hope you are having a ball with your sister Flake, and your boys, Muppet, Bounty, and Twix at the Rainbow Bridge.

I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

davendogs

Re: Wow, Wispa... what a life
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:55:36 AM »
Aw. Little cutey with instinct. Sorry for your loss.

geordieferretmum

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »
So sorry but she sounds like she had a long and happy life. Sending hugs for you and Suz. :fuzzyhug:

fiddle

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
Aww dam guys, So so sorry. She was such a stand out ferret with a HUGE personality I know what a void she will leave but boy what a life  :fuzzyhug:

Snow

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 12:19:44 AM »
So sorry for your loss.

:fuzzyhug :

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Jan

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 03:34:55 AM »

So very sorry Clive and Suz, sending hugs  :fuzzyhug:   

What a wonderful life she has lead though, with so much love and happiness and lots of adventures. An amazing little girl with so much character who will be missed by all.  I have loved seeing her photos and laughed so much at her stories over the years and will miss her beautiful little face at events.

Fly high and free sweet Wispa, I'm sure there must be a riot up at the Bridge, now you're reunited with your sister and your boys    :angel1:  :kiss1:  :kiss1:

Offline darkqueenenlightened

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Is NOT allowed another ferret...is NOT allowed...
    • First name: Mel
    • Ferret Club: KFC

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 05:21:38 PM »
What a great compilation of her. Sounds like you gave her and her sister the chance they needed for a good life and you only have to look at her play to see how happy she was :)
Xx Owned by the lovely Cadbury, Nyx, Mako, Boston, Gadget and Pedro.  Keep on dancing Snuggles, Fuz, Chaz, Oliver, Tali, Fidget, Pixie, Drill, Lizzie, Tank, Jack, Dust, Romeo, Zeph, Apollo, Hjuki, Alaska, Sparks and Roo xX

Gill

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »
 :cry:
Beautiful girl!

hilaauk

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »
Sorry to hear this  - she sounds like she was a real character and stunning as well.