Author Topic: found ferret  (Read 4317 times)

mollydog

found ferret
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »
 :bite:Young male ferret found at pottergate golf club, near Lincoln. He is a lovely little chap but nobody has claimed him so i have brought him home and bought him a new house and stuff. Unfortunately i have 2 terriers that do not feel the same way as me and he needs more time and attention than i can give him.  I  have called him Bob and nobody has come forward yet to claim him so i really need a good home for him.  Anyone interested please let me know

Jan

Re: found ferret
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »

Have you put any notices up and contacted rescues, vets etc?  Also, has he been scanned for a microchip?

mollydog

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:30:32 AM »
Hi Jan, no not been checked, i have bought him a house and everything else but he needs more space to live and more attention than i can give him!  I let him out twice a day in the office and he causes  havoc and goes quite crazy, i am never sure he won't bite and he knows i am nervous, he has dug out  numerous house plants and i have two terriers (not sure who would come off worse if they got together!) I have contacted ferret rescue and advertised locally and on the radio but no one has claimed him, i am going to revesby show on Sunday where they have a ferret stand so i am going to try and find him a  home there.

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »
They can be quite a handful to the uninitiated. :laugh:

Just so you know, he would definitely come off worse against the dogs.

Unfortunately several rescues have shut down over the last couple of years, and the ones that are left have had to pick up the slack, and have called upon all their friends to take in extra ferrets, so space is at a premium. Most of use are already 3 or 4 ferrets over what we should really have. :blushing:

Ferrets are monsters for picking up when people are scared, and even the tamest will try it on if they think they have the upper hand, so I am not surprised you are feeling a bit nervous, even for long term owners it can be hard to work out what is playful over zealous nipping, and full on, going in for a hard bite, until it is too late with unfamiliar ferrets.

Not sure what you are feeding him on, but they can be quite fussy eaters, and if not eating properly will also be far more nippy. James WellBeloved do a Ferret food which is pretty standard, and most will eat it, and for short term use, the "Pets at Home" is OK, although it does make their poo stink, and is definitely down near the bottom of the ladder when it comes to good ingredients, but easy to get hold off. If you have any uncooked chicken wing tips, he may even go for them, and they are good for something to chew on, and distraction while you catch him etc.

Good luck with sorting him out a permanent home, and well done for trying with the little guy, they really do need nice people like you, who will take them in and try, as they die so quickly when left to fend for their selves in the wild. :fuzzyhug:
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site