Author Topic: Malteaser  (Read 7658 times)

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
Malteaser
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
We all dread the day one of our little monsters has to cross the bridge, and everyone of them seems to take a huge chunk of our hearts with them when they go. Every so often though, there is one that seems to take far more than their fair share.

Malteaser came to us from the RSPCA, 8 years ago. He came with a lovely little lady called Crunchie, who unfortunately left as a couple of years ago. Malteaser had been to the RSPCA twice, so we were the third people that we know of, to take him on. Since both Suz and I had ferrets before we got together, both Crunchie and Malteaser were the first ferrets that were "Our" ferrets, as opposed to either "Yours" or "Mine". They were both monsters, but Malteaser decided there was no way in the world he was ever going to end up back in a rescue, and set to work stealing Suz's heart. Slowly but surely, he worked his magic, until he was almost joined at the heart with her. Practically every day, he would end up cuddled up to her, and at some points, I am sure she got more snogs off of him, than me. He would get between us if I tried to lean over for a kiss, and push my face away with his paws. When we went out, and Teaser was inside Suz coat, if I tried to cuddle her, he would nip my hand, and if Suz got him over excited, and he just had to nip a toe, it was also always my toe's that got picked on. If Suz was sad, he would always be that extra bit special, and try to cheer her up.

He had an addiction for melon, but would never pinch it from Suz, just me, and was so bad, I could hardly eat it, if he was around, as he would literally crawl into my mouth after any I had eaten.

He has been showing signs of his age, for a few months now, and has been to the vets a few times for check ups, but basically, he was fine in himself, and apart from being a bit skinny, was still as mad as usual. When Suz went into Hospital, he gave me a bit of a scare, but with a bit of TLC, he decided that I had not done anything untoward to her, and was very glad when she came back home. He did the obligatory "ignore" her for a day, then went back to his normal cuddly self.

Last weekend, he seemed a bit off, and because Suz can not get about easily, I took him to the vets on my own. This time I was told the news I have always dreaded hearing. He was suffering with organ failure, and she offered to put him to sleep. I asked if he was in pain, and she said no. The vet knew he was Suz fuzzy, and after I explained about Suz, the vet said it would be OK, to let him come home and pass away in his sleep.

Being the little fighter he was, he held on and on, and then today he decided that it was time to go. He did it with style and dignity laying in a sleep sack on Suz lap. We had a very dark rainy day here, and then this afternoon, suddenly the sun came out making a very weird light out side, while the rain was pouring down. Looking out the back window, I said to Suz that there would be a Rainbow, and it had probably come for Malteaser. A few minutes later, he followed his rainbow, and left us, both with the biggest holes in our hearts possible.

Sweet Dreams Teaser, I think you knew just how special you were to us, and I can honestly say, I know you had the best life ever living here.

Happy Hunting little Guy
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:17:33 PM by lazy-ferret »
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

x-firefly-x

Re: Malteaser
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
So sorry guys sounds like he had a riple old life though! It also sounds like he held on for Suz to come out of hospital and to say goodbye as well  :fuzzyhug: hugs to you both and look forward to seeing you on sunday xxxxxxxxxx

Dook on little guy :adore: xxxx
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:39:00 PM by x-firefly-x »

Trish_1967

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »
Suz and Clive, I'm so sorry to hear of Malteaser's passing.  I'm sure he did wait for some last cuddles with Suz before following his rainbow to the bridge.

Dook on Malteaser, playing with friends and still in Suz and Clive's hearts for ever  :angel1:

FerretMonster

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »
So sorry to hear Malteaser has dooked away :cry:

Freda

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
The void they leave hurts like hell, but the little fella will be dooking over the bridge now  :angel1:

MarkH

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:45 PM »
So sorry to hear this.

Offline wilbur

• Fluffy Member
  • Alpha Ferret
    • First name: Mary

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:03:16 PM »
So sorry Clive and Suz, dook on Makteaser

Armygirl2

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
 :sorry:

So sorry that he had to go but glad that he went peacefully and happily. After speaking to you the other night that story really bought a tear to my eye.
 :cry:

Dook on little man and hope you manage to reunite with Crunchie  :dook: :dook:

Emz

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »
So sorry Clive and Suz.  Have tears in my eyes reading this :(

Dook on Malteaser with Crunchie  :fuzzyhug:

whats that smell?

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
Never normally read rainbow bridge,just remembered why,so sorry you two,bet yesterday was really difficult xxx

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 06:43:34 PM »
Thanks for all the nice replies :angel1:

I used to avoid the rainbow bridge on sites, as they made me sad, but then, when we lost our first ferret, and discovered that so many people had the attitude of "So, it's just an animal", it was nice to be able to read replies from people who do understand the real hurt that these monsters cause.

I also think it is nice to write down the things they did, while they are still fresh in your mind. I looked back through some of our old memorials the other day, and now the hurt has died down, I found they brought a smile to my face, when they reminded me of the things they had got up to during their lives. One day, we will re-read this, and smile about all the good things, and the joy he gave, rather than cry about the sad things. :adore: :adore:
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

SparkysxXxSlave

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 01:37:34 AM »
Oh Clive, I'm so sorry to hear about little Malteaser!! It's come as a shock as I loved to hear about his adventures and his story has bought tears to my eyes!! :cry: Its good to hear that he went peacefully and free from pain with the two people he loved the most, he lived to a great age and I doubt he would of been happier anywhere else!!

Sweet dreams Malteaser!!  :angel1: Dook on over the bridge and follow the rainbow until you find Crunchie waiting for you!!  :kiss1: x x

FreakyFerretFemale

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:15:40 AM »
 :fuzzyhug:   No more suffering, no more pain, he's over the bridge and young again.

RIP Malteaser .....   :angel1: