Author Topic: Can you help? CD outbreaks 2011  (Read 6945 times)

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
Can you help? CD outbreaks 2011
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
We need to find out more details about these canine distemper (CD) outbreaks.

We could start to answer so many questions about CD and Ferrets, using this outbreak, if only people could get answers to a few basic questions. To be honest, it is in the ferret communities best interests, as this is real life results, not some poor lab test ferret being unnecessarily subjected to it as an experiment.

Just basic stuff would answer so many questions.

• were they vaccinated... I know Jule's were, but I also know a lot of people who are not on forums, or are of the older school of ferret owners do not believe in the CD jab, so there is a good chance the majority of cases were not vaccinated. This applies to both Dogs and Ferrets.
  • When were they vaccinated... some vets/manufacturers are saying it can last up to 3 years, now would be a good time to find out if this is true. Also it does not work from the moment of vaccination, and takes a couple of weeks to kick in.
  • What were they vaccinated with, So far, it may well be that there was a faulty batch/manufacturing of the stuff used by Jules, and to be honest, not that it helps the poor ferrets, but the manufacturer should be held accountable, as if it did not work on ferrets, then there is a good chance it is not working on the dogs done with the same vaccine either, which in turn makes the problem worse as there are dogs running round shedding the virus for all the vaccinated one to pick up and make worse.
  • How many times have they been vaccinated... Dogs seem to get a starter shot, then a full shot, then onging boosters, Ferrets just get a shot each year or so, could this be the problem.
So please guys, when you hear of a case, please ask questions from the person who told you, if we show the Vets we are taking it seriously, it might kick their A$$e$ into gear and get people to look into the problem properly.

You can either sign up to the Fluffy Ferret Forum to share your information, or if you do not wish to, then please feel free to email

fluffyferretforum@lazy-ferret.co.uk

Thank you.
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site

Offline lazy-ferret

• Administrator
  • Alpha Ferret
  • Surrounded by Blondes.. I must be in Heaven.
    • First name: Clive
    • Ferret Club: KFC

• The Lazy Ferret
Re: Can you help? CD outbreaks 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »
14th November 2011

CONFIRMED DISTEMPER VIRUS IN FERRETS

For the last five to six weeks the National Ferret Welfare Society (NFWS) has been investigating a substantial number of ferret deaths which have been reported in various areas up and down the country, but mainly concentrated in the Midlands and Cheshire counties.

As part of its investigations, the Society has paid for several detailed post mortems and some pcr (polymerase chain reaction) swab tests.  However whilst the latter came back testing positive for distemper,  the post mortem results were needed to confirm whether or not distemper was the cause.

Today (14th November), we have received the results of the post mortems which were done in conjunction with Mr Simon Thomas BSc BVetMed CVR CSAO MRCVS and the Infectious Diseases Diagnostic Unit at the University of Glasglow School of Veterinary Medicine;

The results – Distemper.  Confirmed.  As yet we do not know which strain. Mr Thomas has spoken to the vaccine manufacturer and has advised that if you do vaccinate your ferret(s) then it is best to use Nobivac DHP, 1 dose (vial) per ferret.  (REMEMBER this vaccine is not licensed for ferrets).  However this will not protect your ferret if they have already come into contact with another infected animal.   Whether or not you vaccinate your ferret(s) is a decision only you as an owner can make.

The signs to look out for, in order of importance, are:- 

i)   Rash – pink with black coloured tip.  Mainly appears in the abdominal area, worsening around the    groin.  Can also appear around the eyes and under the chin and, in some cases can been seen all    over. 
ii)   Crusting around the eyes; sensitive to light.  May or may not have discharge AND
iii)   Crusting around the nose.  May or may not have discharge.
iv)   Pads may well swell to double in size as symptoms progress and become 'crusty'.

Symptoms are typically taking between 7 to 21 days to appear and not all ferrets within an infected group develop symptoms at the same time.  There can be several weeks between the first ferret(s) displaying signs of distemper and the last ferret(s), more confusingly, not all ferrets within an infected group show symptoms or appear to develop this illness.

Please note that apart from swollen, crusty pads the other symptoms can be a sign of something else, remembering of course that at this time of year human flu can be passed on to ferrets, BUT if your ferret is displaying these signs then please advise your vet of this before going to the surgery so that they can put their own additional protocols in place.  Remember that not all ferrets that die, will die of this illness.  As always, if you have a ferret that is unwell then please seek veterinary advice.

Precautions to take include not mixing your ferrets with other groups of ferrets, refrain from walking ferrets in public areas that dogs and other ferrets have access to, avoid contact with strange and/or unwell ferrets belonging to another person.  This is not exhaustive but hopefully will help you to decide whether or not to do something/go somewhere with your ferret(s).

YOUR HELP IS NEEDED:-  We now need to map which areas have had ferrets die of this illness, be it one ferret or more.  In order to make this as accurate as possible, we will need to differentiate between suspected and confirmed cases.  However, all information will be recorded so please either email, telephone or write to me (Bennie Lye, National Ferret Welfare Society, 1 The Terrace, Loddiswell, Kingsbridge, Devon. TQ7 4RH.  Tel: 01548 550156.  Email: herbielye@aol.com).   Any personal details will be kept confidential but in order to assist, information on the veterinary surgery involved will help as then we can also record (a) what tests, if any, were carried out (b) if vaccinated/when/ vaccine used/dosage and (c) what symptoms were presented.     

As soon as we have more information we will let you know but in the meantime, give your loveable, mischievous hooligan(s) an extra big hug.

National Ferret Welfare Society (NFWS)  www.nfws.net
I ferret proofed my house... but they still keep getting in

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals.....  Except the weasel....(Homer J Simpson)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Oh, see, impossible wishes, wishes that can never be granted, they produce a ferret. - Warehouse 13

Our web site